Landlords legal requirements


Letting Agent in Nottingham

As a Landlord there are a number of legal requirements that you must adhere to,  the section below will highlight a number of them but we do advise you to arrange a full appraisal of your property so that one of our qualified team can go through each of these in more detail to ensure that you are fully compliant.

All soft furnishings must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) Safety Regulations 1988 and be fire safety compliant. Look for the fire safety label on all furnishings. For further information visit:

  • The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 say landlords must ensure that gas appliances, fittings and flues are safe for tenants use and that installation, maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a Corgi-registered gas installer. If everything is OK, you’ll be given a certificate called a CP12 and you must give a copy of this to the tenant. Gas safety checks must be carried out on a property annually. For further information visit:
  • The Electrical Equipment and Safety Regulations say you must ensure that the electrics are safe, with operating instructions and safety notices supplied before a letting commences. Get your electrics regularly checked by a qualified electrician.
  • An Energy Performance certificate (EPC) must be in place prior to marketing and be available for any potential Tenant to peruse prior to arranging a viewing.  For further information visit:
  • Landlords should make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to their property to accommodate a disabled person.
  • Certain types of shared houses (called Houses in Multiple Occupation) have to be licensed under special rules, which also require the property meets certain extra fire and electrical safety standards. These rules also set a limit to the number of people who can occupy a property. Whether or not you need to get a license depends on the size of the property and varies by council – ask your local authority’s housing department for more information.

A good general guide to all the regulations can be found here:

If you are in any doubt what your responsibilities are, Harper will be able to help and advise – however, as the landlord it’s your legal responsibility to ensure the regulations are complied with and that safety checks have actually been carried out – failure to do so is a criminal offence so seek advice and guidance.

Also, if you own a flat, some leases require you to tell the freeholder of your plans to let or may prohibit certain types of lettings – check your lease agreement carefully for any possible restrictions.

Finally, if you are planning to let your former home, a standard home insurance policy will not cover you properly and may result in claims being rejected – you’ll need a special landlords’ insurance policy. But don’t worry – premiums are not much higher than on a standard policy.

Call the team today on 0115 896 3990 arrange for us to come out to see you and to go to ensure you do not get caught out.